About Argan Oil
About Argan Oil
Until recently argan oil has been a well kept secret by the Berber people of North Africa who have been using it in their diet for centuries.
This golden, nutty oil comes from the fruit of the argan tree, an ancient and UNESCO protected tree that grows only in South-Western Morocco making it one of the rarest oils in the world.
It takes approximately 15 hours and 30kg of fruit to produce just 1 litre of argan oil. This lengthy process involves skilled handwork that has been passed down from generations.
In late summer the argan fruit ripens and falls to the ground where it is gathered. It is then laid out to dry. To make the oil, the dried outer fruit is first removed, then, using traditional artisanal techniques involving stones, the seeds are extracted from the hard inner shell.
Up to this point everything is done by hand, furthermore it is only women involved and this employment provides not only a good source of income in a poor region but an opportunity for them to gain independence.
The seeds are then cold pressed to extract the oil. Nothing is wasted in the process, the fruit pulp is fed to cattle and the leftover seed pulp is used as fuel. At Arganic we have strict controls at every stage of production and we can trace every bottle back to the tree!
Traditionally the Berber people fed argan oil to their babies to ease digestion as well as using it to cure various illnesses. Argan oil contains twice the level of tocopherols/vitamin E of olive oil making it a powerful antioxidant. Antioxidants fight free radicals, which are the main cause of cell ageing and various types of cancer. It has significantly high levels of fatty acids omega 6 and 9, which help with brain functioning and according to studies a spoonful of argan oil a day can lower cholesterol levels. For full nutritional info please click here.
Whether you are health conscious or simply passionate about food and cooking, you can have a lot of fun with this delicious versatile ingredient and use it to add individuality to your dishes. Perfect to dunk some bread into as an appetiser, great in salads, or drizzle some onto your food for a nice touch. Find recipes here.
At Arganic, we seek to provide you with the finest quality argan oil available on the market;
- Our seeds are freshly pressed immediately after extraction and we keep our oil in dark bottles to protect it from light. This is in order to avoid any oxidation and ensure maximum flavour and nutrient value.
- Our oil is 100% pure argan oil so you know you are getting the real deal with all the benefits.
- We proudly operate in an ethical manner and pay the producers fairly in order to benefit everyone involved rather than just take.
- We have strict control and hygiene procedures in place.
- Our oil is traceable, and we even know exactly which tree your bottle came from :)